Khatta Meat is a famous lamb curry dish from Jammu in India. It is made with mutton cooked in dry mango powder and flavored with fumes of a burning charcoal soaked in desi ghee (clarified butter). This mutton curry is amazingly tasty and easy to digest.
Khatta Meat Ingredients
- Mutton: 750 grams
- Chopped Onions: 4 (250 grams)
- Ginger Garlic Paste: 3 tea spoons
- Turmeric: 1 tea spoon
- Dry Kasoori Methi: 4 tea spoon
- Red Chilly Powder: 1 tea spoon
- Green Chilies: 2
- Salt: To Taste
- Dry Mango Powder : 1.5 tea spoon.
- Fennel Seed Powder: 3 tea spoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves: For Garnish (Chopped)
- Charcoal for smoking
For Garam Masala:
- Cumin Seeds: 3 tea spoon
- Coriander Seeds: 2 tea spoon
- Black Cardamom: 2
- Green Cardamom: 2
- Cloves: 5
- Cinnamon Stick: 2
- Mustard Oil: 4 Table spoon
Khatta Meat Recipe (Instructions)
- Roast cumin seeds and coriander seeds on tawa or pan. Grind them in a grinder along with black and green cardamom, cloves and cinnamon to make fresh Garam Masala.
- In a heavy bottom pan or pressure cooker add mustard oil and heat to a smoking point. Let it cool a bit.
- Add onions and fry till onions turn pink.
- Add ginger garlic paste and green chilies and sauté till brown.
- Add mutton, turmeric, salt, garam masala, red chili powder, kasoori methi and 2 cup water. Cook over low heat till meat is tender. Takes only 30 to 40 minutes in a pressure cooker. But will take much longer in a pan.
- Once the meat is cooked add dry mango powder and fennel powder.
- Heat a charcoal till red hot and put it in a ceramic soup bowl Place this bowl over meat, well inside pan/cooker in which you have cooked the khatta meat. Now pour 1/4 tsp of desi ghee or mustard oil over hot charcoal and cover the pan/cooker with a lid for 1 minute.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with steamed/boiled rice.
- You can adjust the amount of mango powder as per your liking of sourness.
- You may use ready made garam masala if you don’t want to make fresh one.
Also Read: Arguments for Eating Meat